Tuesday, October 8, 2024

A rare day of water

 We recently made a trip to the NRCS/USDA office that portions of our land are under contract with, to hand in receipts to request a profit sharing reimbursement for supplies we bought for the back CRP girdling project (that had to have been a run-on sentence, because even typing that I was running out of breath as if I had said it aloud, lol). We made this trip no more than a week before the end of September, with only one more day in September that we would make it to the land, and they requested for us to get the girdling done by the end of September if we could. So we left their office and made our planned trip to the forest to finish the project!

We were even more prepared this time with mosquito netting we could wear over our heads, an ax, and the new electric chainsaw that we bought late last year for this very project. We were reaching the end of the end of the work, or at least this stage of it, and looking forward to marking this project done! ✔  This tree was girdled at the beginning of the project. 👇

It was a misty day, with no rainfall to really tally up, but it was enough to get everything drippy. We decided to take a walk since we couldn't do anymore work at this time. We always talk about how we enjoy seeing the land in the different seasons, and how each year we find something we've never seen before out there! We can also see a difference in the land after each effort we make, one of them being more Brownstem Speenwort  (Asplenium Platyneuron) (a kind of fern) coming up in the forests. 

There's a lot of baby pines trying to come up too, which will be something that I will keep an eye on so that we aren't in the position again of hardwoods getting out-competed. I never realized how much of a balancing act it can be to have a healthy forest, though because they had been let go for so long, maybe once they are healthy they will be better able to take care of themselves. 


As Fall is setting in more each day, I'm always in awe of the colors, but also on how fast trees can lose their leaves. I love long-term colors, but it always seems that just as the leaves are turning and becoming more "fragile" at the end of the stems, we will get a day of strong winds that knocks them all down. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for the sound of walking in the dry leaves, but I love the sound of them blowing on the tree just as well! 


We are also at the time of year when the honeysuckles are getting their berries and I have it on my radar to get the berries off of them and into back bags so they don't fall to the ground. I'm hoping to have that done within the next week or so. Then once I know the berries aren't going to be an issue, I'll cut and treat the plant itself. This particular one is an Amur Honeysuckle.


I also wanted to share what happens when you cut something and don't treat it. Woodchuck and I had a conversation about clearing out around the side of the shipping container, and even though the information was repeated several times, he still did what only he wanted to do: which was mowing it down and driving away. No treatment. And the majority of those sprouts are bittersweet trying to come back up again, because the root system is still alive and well, and the seed bank too.


As hard as it can be at times (less so now that I am more accepting of it and less judgmental of myself and my experiences in life) to be so in-tune and tapped in to the nature around me, I love being able to find the beauty in all of it. So many things that so many people would not notice, and even now Woodchuck is starting to realize all that I see and he tells me that he never would have noticed on his own. Take, for instance, this wet and sleeping bumble bee on some golden rod. It's things like this that make my heart melt, that feed the wonder I have for the natural world around me, and have a greater appreciation for ALL of its inhabitants. 



We were able to walk across the back ditch now instead of haphazardly stumbling across slick logs. Even the deer have utilized it, and maybe this is their approval stamp? 😂💩𐂂

We entered the world of the Watershed Preserve, all ethereal and full of magick. This Dogbane stood out with its colors so vibrant, even Woodchuck could see it. And that's saying something!



I've always been fascinated with water drops on plants. There is such life, yet gentleness, in each.



And I really need to get the right kind of boots for this kind of weather...................



But this kind of weather feeds and refreshes, just as the sunny, warm weather does. The cycles and weather patterns are so important to all.







And my love for Mother E and all that I try to do to help her is always paid back me to ten-fold. On this day, there was just a little extra. Those teeny tiny vertebrae? SWOON 😍 I am rich with these treasures as the Knochenhexe (bone witch) comes alive again )O(







No comments: